001-042 Irwin Bank building history by Barbara Lowrance

BCPL_CbusF_Hist_IrwinBank_001.jpg
BCPL_CbusF_Hist_IrwinBank_002.jpg
BCPL_CbusF_Hist_IrwinBank_003.jpg
BCPL_CbusF_Hist_IrwinBank_004.jpg
BCPL_CbusF_Hist_IrwinBank_005.jpg
BCPL_CbusF_Hist_IrwinBank_006.jpg
BCPL_CbusF_Hist_IrwinBank_007.jpg
BCPL_CbusF_Hist_IrwinBank_008.jpg
BCPL_CbusF_Hist_IrwinBank_009.jpg
BCPL_CbusF_Hist_IrwinBank_010.jpg
BCPL_CbusF_Hist_IrwinBank_011.jpg
BCPL_CbusF_Hist_IrwinBank_012.jpg
BCPL_CbusF_Hist_IrwinBank_013.jpg
BCPL_CbusF_Hist_IrwinBank_014.jpg
BCPL_CbusF_Hist_IrwinBank_015.jpg
BCPL_CbusF_Hist_IrwinBank_016.jpg
BCPL_CbusF_Hist_IrwinBank_017.jpg
BCPL_CbusF_Hist_IrwinBank_018.jpg
BCPL_CbusF_Hist_IrwinBank_019.jpg
BCPL_CbusF_Hist_IrwinBank_020.jpg
BCPL_CbusF_Hist_IrwinBank_021.jpg
BCPL_CbusF_Hist_IrwinBank_022.jpg
BCPL_CbusF_Hist_IrwinBank_023.jpg
BCPL_CbusF_Hist_IrwinBank_024.jpg
BCPL_CbusF_Hist_IrwinBank_025.jpg
BCPL_CbusF_Hist_IrwinBank_026.jpg
BCPL_CbusF_Hist_IrwinBank_027.jpg
BCPL_CbusF_Hist_IrwinBank_028.jpg
BCPL_CbusF_Hist_IrwinBank_029.jpg
BCPL_CbusF_Hist_IrwinBank_030.jpg
BCPL_CbusF_Hist_IrwinBank_031.jpg
BCPL_CbusF_Hist_IrwinBank_032.jpg
BCPL_CbusF_Hist_IrwinBank_033.jpg
BCPL_CbusF_Hist_IrwinBank_034.jpg
BCPL_CbusF_Hist_IrwinBank_035.jpg
BCPL_CbusF_Hist_IrwinBank_036.jpg
BCPL_CbusF_Hist_IrwinBank_037.jpg
BCPL_CbusF_Hist_IrwinBank_038.jpg
BCPL_CbusF_Hist_IrwinBank_039.jpg
BCPL_CbusF_Hist_IrwinBank_040.jpg
BCPL_CbusF_Hist_IrwinBank_041.jpg
BCPL_CbusF_Hist_IrwinBank_042.jpg

Dublin Core

Title

001-042 Irwin Bank building history by Barbara Lowrance

Description

A history of the building at 301 Washington Street, with a focus on Joseph I. Irwin's rebuilding project and the businesses that have occupied the structure. Includes notes on mentions of these businesses in contemporary newspapers and faded photocopies of primary source materials.

Date

n.d.

Rights

In Copyright
The organization making this Item available believes that the Item is in copyright. The organization either is the rights-holder, has obtained permission from the rights-holder(s) to make their Work(s) available, or makes the Item available under an exception or limitation to copyright (including Fair Use) that entitles it to make the Item available.
http://rightsstatements.org/vocab/InC/1.0/

Language

English

Type

text

Identifier

BCPL_CbusF_Hist_IrwinBank

Coverage

301 Washington Street (Columbus, Ind.)

Is Part Of

BCPL Columbus Files, Historic Landmarks, Bartholomew County Public Library, Columbus, IN; 301 Washington Street: Cornerstone of Columbus, Indiana (digital collection).

Bibliographic Citation

Irwin Bank building history by Barbara Lowrance, n.d., Historic Landmarks, BCPL Columbus Files, Bartholomew County Public Library, Columbus, IN.

Provenance

Bartholomew County Public Library

Text Item Type Metadata

Text

A 41-page document in a report cover.

Cover (sheet 1): labelled “Irwin Bank Building-History #)L 301 Washington by Barbara Lowrance.”


Typewritten text (sheet 2):

Historical Sketch of 301 Washington Street Site

The town of Columbus was 27 years old when, in 1848, brothers Aquilla and Benjamin F. Jones built the first building on the present 301 Washington Street site. Since that time, the $3,000 three-story brick building, has undergone many changes and has been occupied by numerous tenants.

In the early 1850’s, Dr. h. T Hinman began a drug store in the corner room of the “Old Jones’ Corner.” Above his store, Mr. W.F. Pidgeon had his law office. In 1855, H. T. Hinman was succeeded by John V. Storey, who served the community of Columbus as one of its leading druggists for the next 17 years.

While Storey’s drug store occupied the “Old Jones’ Corner,” a number of businesses and offices came and went. William McEwen and B. F. Jones, who now owned the property. Set up a dry goods store in their building. Above their store, George M. Gilbert, a fashionable tailor had his shop.

In November, 1858, McEwen and Jones sold the property to Joseph Ireland Irwin and Francis P. Smith, who moved their dry goods business into the room formerly occupied by McEwen and Jones. A year later, J. I. Irwin, retaining his interest in the property, sold his interest in the dry goods business to F. P. Smith, and went into the dry goods business on his own at 327 Washington Street. About that same time, A.C. Downey and A.W. Prather began a joint law practice in one of the rooms upstairs; Prather continued his practice in that office for better than 15 years. Francis P. Smith, on the other hand, served as a representative to the State Legislature from Columbus in 1861 and 1862. In 1863 his interest in the property was sold by the sheriff to John V. Storey.

Some of the businesses and offices in Storey and Irwin’s building


Typewritten text (sheet 3):

around 1865-66 were: the Provost Marshall’s Office, Third District – Captain James B. Mulkey, who was also an attorney, and Lieutenant Thomas C. Wilson; G.W. Richardson, attorney; Schloss and Samuels, dry goods, merchant tailors and dealers in clothing; also, John V. Storey, wholesale and retail druggist.

The year 1872 brought several more changes in tenants. Mrs. Amanda E. Williams, milliner and dress maker, set up her shop in the building. Richard Carter and John Mahoney had their grocery and provisions store in the room north of the drug store on the Washington Street side. Then, in December, James A. Smith bought the drug store from John V. Storey.

By late 1877 Carter and Mahoney had moved out of the building, and Mrs. W.D. Summers, a milliner, had taken their store and five of the rooms upstairs as an apartment for her three children and her assistant. On November 15, 1877, a fire broke out in Mrs. Summers; store a scant month after she moved in. The fire destroyed $1,200 worth of her stock and furniture in her apartment. Some of J.A. Smith’s stock was also damaged. Mrs. Summers moved into Mrs. Williams old stand until the rooms could be repaired.

The drug store again changed ownership in 1879 – T.B. Harlan bought the store and stock from J. A. Smith – and the following year, Clarence W. Adams bought it from T.B. Harlan. In early May of 1881 Adams moved his drug store to 322 Washington Street, as Joseph Irwin had bought out Storey’s interest in the property and had decided to renovate the building and use it for his bank and store.

The 1881 renovation brought about a complete change in the appearance of the building. The third story was completely removed; the south wall was rebuilt of pressed brick, which was shipped to Columbus from Louisville by train. The east wall of the building collapsed a month or so after the renovation began, causing it also to be rebuilt. The inside of the building was


Typewritten text (sheet 4):

also redone, even the flooring was taken up – to reveal a cocoanut which had lain under the floorboards since the building was first built in 1848.

In mid-January, 1882, excavation in the cellar for sand, which was to be used to mix plaster for the walls, weakened the foundation walls and caused the new brick work on the south wall to crack. As a result, a new foundation had to be built and the walls shored up and repaired.

The interior of the building was then completed. The banking room, which was paneled in heavy walnut, occupied the northern half of the width of the building and extended some sixty-five feet back from the Washington Street entrance. The remainder of the first floor and the basement were used by the dry goods store, with the second floor being used as offices.

The exterior of the building had a galvanized iron front with the words “Irwin’s Bank, 1881” stamped in it. The windows were made of French plate glass. Galvanized iron cornices, a tin roof, and carved sandstone caps for the doors and windows accented the outside of the building.

The bank and store moved in on the night of April 13, 1882 – business was conducted as usual the next day. One of the upstairs rooms was soon occupied by Weldon W. Lambert, a lawyer, who had his office in the building for over twenty years.

In 1895, J. I. Irwin sold his interest in the dry goods store to Frederick J. Meyer and Oscar Fiegenbaum and devoted all of his energies to the bank. Meyer eventually became sole owner (1903), having had several partners in the interim, and in 1907, he moved the dry goods store out of 301. The bank took over the downstairs area and converted it into one large room, with the exception of the rooms which were entered from Third Street.

Union Starch and Refining Company moved into some of the upstairs offices in 1923. Irwin’s Bank merged with Union Trust Company in 1928, and moved out of the building. The Starch Company then took over the large room


Typewritten text (sheet 5):

On the first floor, leaving the entire upstairs to be rented as offices, most of which were used as law offices.

In 1944, the Starch Company formally leased the building and undertook a thorough program of remodernization – new heating and lighting systems were installed. The large room formerly occupied by the bank was split into five private offices. By the mid-1950’s, the Starch Company had expanded so that it occupied all of the offices in the 301 building.

Union Starch and Refining Company remained in those offices until December, 1966, when Irwin Management Company moved in.


Typewritten text (sheet 6):

Deed to Plat # 37, Columbus, Indiana

1826   William & Sarah Snyder

1826   Samuel Cowen

1826   Philip Sweetser

1826   Reuben Lucas

1827   James McComant

1829   Ephraim Arnold

1831   Charles Jones

1848   Aquilla and Benjamin F. Jones

1852   Benjamin F. and Sarah to Aquilla Jones

1853   Aquilla & Harriet Jones to Masonic Lodge (North Section of Plat)

1858   Aquilla & Harriet Jones to Will McEwen and Benjamin F. Jones (South Section of Plat)

1858   William and Mary McEwen and Benjamin & Sarah Jones to Francis P. Smith and Joseph I. Irwin

1863   Francis P. Smith to John V. and Mary Jane Storey

1881   John V. and Mary Jane Storey to Joseph I. Irwin


Typewritten text (sheet 7):

Francis P. Smith – Tax Assessment Records

1857 – No Lots or Personal Property Listed in Columbus

1858 – Lot # 66 (House)

1859 – Lot # 66 (House) & Lot # 3, Also South 36’ #37 with J. I. Irwin

1860 - Lot # 66 (House), Lot # 3, & Lot # 36 (Formerly Owned by Harriet Jones), # 37

            Value of Personal Property - $4922

            Value of Land & Improvements - 869

            Total Value - $4791

1861 - Lot # 66 (House), Lot # 3, & Lot # 36, # 37

            Value of Personal Property -          $ 492

            Value of Land & Improvements - 869

            Total Value - $ 1361

1862 – No # 66 – Divorce Settlement of October, 1860 Given to Wife Harriet

            No # 36 – Owned by Harriet Jones

            # 3 – Taxes Paid by Sale of Property

            # 37 – Half of taxes Paid by J. I. Irwin, Remainder Delinquent

            No Personal Property

1863 – No Frances P. Smith Listed in Tax Assessment Records

 

Note: Divorce Records Show that Smith had four children by wife Harriet – two of whom were in need of support – Francis P. Smith, Jr. (sickly) and Emma M. (A.) Smith – records stated that Smith was n 1860 valued to have $10,000 dollars worth  of property and personal goods – tax records don’t agree, at least in County of Bartholomew. Could be that he owned property elsewhere.

Article in the Columbus Republican, January 16, 1873, mentions dispute over J. I. Irwin’s property in which ownership of that property with Mr. Frank P. Smith (one and the same as Francis P.) was mentioned, and also mentioned is that he was since deceased.

No record of Francis P. Smith was found either in record of wills or probate court records which would have disposed of any property from the years 1860 – 1873. Possibly he could have moved away from Columbus.


Typewritten text (sheet 8):

Smith & Irwin - In Dry Goods Business Together

1857 - Value of Personal Property -         $ 4000

Total Taxables          4000

 

1858 - Value of Personal Property -         4500

Total Taxables          4500

 

1859 - Lot # 37 - South 36' - $1100

Value of Improvements       2750

Total Value of Lots & Improvements-       3850

Value of Personal Property            6000

Total Value of Taxables      9850

1860 - Lot # 37 - South 36'             $1100

Value of Improvements       3150

Value of Lots & Improvements       4250

No Personal Property

 

1861 - Lot # 37 - South 36' -          $ 1100

Value of Improvements       3150

Value of Lot and Improvements     4250

No Personal Property

1862 - Lot # 37 - South 36'             $ 1100

Value of Improvements       3150

Value of Lot and Improvements    4250

No Personal Property

Smith did not pay his half of taxes


Typewritten text (Sheet 9):

Plat # 39                                                                    Plat # 47

$ 60                                                    1852               $ 28

$ 60                                                    1853               $ 28

$ 60                                                    1854               $ 30

$ 60                                                    1855               $ 30

$ 60                                                    1856               $ 30

                                                            1857

$ 60                                                    1858               $30

$ 88                                                    1859               Not Listed Under Irwin & Jones Add.

As Are All Above

 

$ 88                                                    1860               “

Also Listed - North 21'

of Plat #39

Value of Lot   $ 410

  1. of Improvements 1000

 

$ 88                                                    1861               “

Also Listed - North 21'

of Plat #39

Value of Lot    $ 410

  1. of Improvements 1000

 

$88                                                     1862               “

Also Listed - North 21'

of Plat #39

Value of Lot   $ 410

  1. of Improvements 1200

 

$ 88                                                    1863               “

Also Listed - North 21‘

of Plat #39

Value of Lot   $ 410

  1. of Improvements 1200

 

$ 100                                                  1864               “

North 21' of Plat #39

Value of Lot $ 450

  1. of Improvements 1550

 

$ 100                                                  1865               “

North 21' of Plat #39

Value of Lot   $ 450

  1. of Improvements 1550


Typewritten text (Sheet 10):

TAX DUPLICATE ASSESSOR'S RECORDS

1848

Plat #37 - Value of Lots and Improvements        $1000

Value of Personal Property            550

Total (+1900 Other)             3450

Note: $5.40 Paid by A & BF Jones on Lot #37

Owned by Charles Jones

1849

Plat #37 - Value of Lot        $1000

Value of Personal Property 3000

Total Value of Taxables 4000

,Note: Owned by Aquilla and Benjamin F. Jones

1850

Plat #37 - Value of Lot         $4000

Value of Personal Property 5000

Total Value of Taxables 5000

Note: Owned by A & BF Jones

1851

Plat # 37 - Irwin & Jones Addition - Value $ 40 

(Seems that Irwin & Jones paid

a % of value for the priviledg

of having their name used - o

they retained part interest i

the property even after it wa

sold - 36 such lots)

 

Also 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 12, 13, 17, 18, 19,21, 23, 25, 26, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 34, 35, 36, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 47, 48, 49, 50

Plats # 37 - 181, 43 – Value of Lots          $1375

            Value of Lots & Improvements       5075

            Value of Personal Property            7912

            Total Taxables          $13487

Note: Owned by A & BF Jones

1852

            Plat # 37 – Irwin & Jones Addition – Value $ 40

            Plat # 37 – Value of Lot      1000

                        Value of Improvements       3000

            Note: owned by Aquilla Jones


Typewritten text (Sheet 11):

1853

Plat # 37 – Irwin & Jones Addition – Value $ 40

Plat # 37 – Value of Lot      $1000

            Value of Improvements       3000

            Note: Owned by Aquilla Jones

1854

Plat # 37 – Irwin & Jones Addition – Value $ 40

Plat # 37 – South ’36 – Value of Lot         500

            Value of Improvements       3000

            Note: Owned by Aquilla Jones ( South 36’ Only – North Half of Lot Sold to the Masonic Lodge)

1855

Plat # 37 – Irwin & Jones Addition – Value $ 40

Plat # 37 – South 36’ – Value of Lot         500

            Note: Owned by Aquilla Jones

1856

Plat # 37 – Irwin & Jones Addition – Value $ 40

Plat # 37 – South 36’ – Value of Lot         500

            Value of Improvements       3000

            Note: Owned by Aquilla Jones


Typewritten text (Sheet 12):

The Indiana Democrat 2/9/1856

- J. V. Story - Successor to H. T. Hinman, Masonic Buildings - Dated 5/19/1855

- W. F. Pidgeon - Attorney and Counsellor at Law - In Masonic Building

The Indiana Democrat 10/7/1858

  • Francis P. Smith - Candidate for Representative to State Legislature
  • Note about Smith & Irwin's Store
  • William F. Pidgeon, Attorney and Counsellor, Office over Storey's Drug Store
  • McEwen & Jones - Old Jones‘ Corner
  • George M. Gilbert, Fashionable Tailor, Over McEwen & Jones Store, Tipton St., Dated 4/15/1858
  • V. Storey Ad for Cholera Medicine and Articles for Family Use

Columbus Weekly News 3/5/1859

  • Pidgeon & Smiths - Attorneys at Law - Office in Masonic Building
  • Herod & Stansifer - Attorneys and Counsellors at Law - Office over Smith & Irwin's Store
  • George M. Gilbert - Fashionable Tailor - Over Smith & Irwin's Store
  • V. Storey - Advertisement for Drug Store in Masonic Building
  • H. Bryan, Practicing Physician - Office over Smith & Irwin's Store
  • Smith & Irwin comfortably situated in the ‘old Jones corner"

Columbus Weekly News 3/12/1859

  • Old Jones Corner - Smith & Irwin's store
  • Herod & Stansifer - lost key
  • A. P. Hunter, office 3rd door west of Smith & Irwin's old stand on Tipton St.
  • M. Gilbert - shop in east end of the old Jones Corner.
  • West & Co. - Masonic Building

Columbus Weekly News 3/3/1860

  • McCraken's Photograph Picture Gallery over F. P. Smith's Store
  • F. Jones, Cashier at the Kentucky Stock Bank (Owned Plat #37 at one time)
  • 'Downey & Prather - Attorneys and Counsellors at Law - Over Smith & Irwin's Store .


Typewritten text (Sheet 13):

Columbus Weekly News 3/3/1860

George M. Gilbert 

Fashionable Tailor is now prepared to do all work in his line, in the most fashionable style, on short notice and on the most faeorable terms for cash.  I receive regularly all the latest fashions which enables him to do work in  the very latest styles. Cutting done on the shortest notice.  Shop over Smith and Irwin's store. Entrance on Tipton Street. (Mar. 5,'59-  nlly.


Typewritten text (Sheet 14):

1861

April 13 - Columbus Weekly News

 - A. E. S. Long, Attorney - Office over Storey's Drug Store, Dated 5/5/1860 

- Storey's Drug Store Ad 

 

1867 

December 7 - Columbus Weekly Union 

-Breining & Wilson, Jewelers - Store on North Side of Tipton 

3 Doors West of McEwen's Block


Typewritten text (sheet 15):

The Columbus Republican

- 4/4/1872 - Mrs. A. E. Williams Milliner & Dressmaker - Storey & Irwin's New Building, Tipton Street

- H. J. Bishop, Jeweler - Storey & Irwin's New Building

- 8/8/1872 - Storey & Irwin's block is being re-roofed.

- 10/17/1872 - H. J. Bishop Moved Out of Storey & Irwin's Building

- Singer - Tipton St., North Side, 3 Doors East of Washington

- 12/5/1872 - John V. Storey's Drug Store Ad (Also 9/19/1872)

- 12/12/1872 - Smith s Drug Store Ad (Formerly Storey's)

- 1/16/1873 - Irwin Article re: Stairway Access Masonic Building

- 3/27/1873 - Mrs. H. Shearer, Hair Dressing, in Mrs. Williams' Millinery Store

- 4/24/1873 - Singer Sewing Machine Moved Out of Storey & Irwin block

- 5/1/1873 - Geo. W. Cooper, Attorney at Law - Office over Smith's Drug Store

-11/27/1873 - James A. Smith, druggist, is publishing a pamphlet.

 - Article on the Business and Manufacturing Interests of Columbus, listing Irwin's Cash Store at 94 Washington St.

- 7/2/1874 - Mr. B.(Bernard) Greenwood, tailor, fitting up corner room in Storey & Irwin's block on Tipton St.

- 7/16/1874 - B. Greenwood, Merchant Tailor, Ad (First)

-10/1/1874 - Geo. W. Cooper Moved Out of Storey & Irwin's Building

- 4/8/1875 - B. Greenwood Robbed

- 9/2/1875 - B. Greenwood Moved Out of Storey & Irwin's Building

- 9/23/1875 - Jas. A. Smith, Agent for Northwestern Mutual Life Insurance Co.

- l0/14/1875 - M. Taylor, gardner built small frame stand south of Smith's

drug store.

- Mr. John Cooper will take charge of M. Taylor's stand

- 10/21/1875 - German Lodge No. 99 Meets every Thursday night in their Hall, Old Jones Corner

- W. W. Browning. prosecuting attorney from Nashville moves to office over Smith's Drug Store


Typewritten text (sheet 16):

The Columbus Republican

-10/28/1875 - Browning & Prather, Attorneys at Law, Office over Smith's Drug Store

-11/4/1875 - Mr. M. A. Toohey occupies room vacated by B. Greenwood (Mr. Toohey dealt in furs and hides.)

- 12/23/1875 - Dillon's boot and shoe store moved to Storey & Irwin's block, one door west of J. A. Smith's drug store.

- 12/23/1375 - Browning & Morgan over Hogue & Herzsch's Drug Store (Browning moved out of Smith & Irwin's Building)

- 1/6/1876 - W. S. Swengel, Attorney and Counselor at Law, over Smith's Drug Store

- 1/13/1876 - Obituary of Charles Jones, brother of B. F. and Aquilla, once owner of Plat #37.

- 3/16/1876 - B. F. Jones opens office one door west of Bissell block, real estate and insurance business.

- 3/23/1876 - Carter and Mahoney, Grocery & Provision Dealers, second door north of Old Jones Corner

- 4/20/1876 - Jas. A. Smith is decorating his storeroom with fresco paper.

- 5/25/1876 - J. D. McQueen, Justice of the Peace, Office over Smith's Drug Store (Ad)

- 6/1/1876 - Two small boys broke pane of glass in Jas. A. Smith s Store- window

- 6/15/1876 - J. D. McQueen moves into Masonic Building over Huber & Sons furniture store from over Smith's Drug Store

 

- 6/29/1876 - Mrs. Williams remodeling stand occupied by Mike McGrayel saloon keeper.

- 8/3/1876 - Mrs. Williams moved out of Storey & Irwin's Block.

- 1/25/1877 - F. Marquett opens a Harness Shop in Storey & Irwin's Block Ad & Note

- 2/1/1877 - M. Taylor is making arrangements to move to Ulrich corner.

- 3/1/1877 - M. Taylor moves fruit and vegetable stand to Ulrich corner.

- 3/22/1877 - Albert Saeger becomes clerk at Smith's Drug Store.


Typewritten text (sheet 17):

The Columbus Republican

- 6/21/1877 - James A. Smith - Champion Soda Fountain - $800

- 8/2/1877 - Nathan N. Greaves, Justice of the Peace, over Smith's Drug Store

- 9/6/1877 - W. S. Swengel moved out of Jones corner to new Storey & Irwin block

- 10/4/1877 - Stone for new pavement in front of Smith's drug store is nearly ready to be laid down

- 10/11/1877 - Miller Sparks, former clerk in Smith's store, visiting

- 10/18/1877 - Walk across alley between Bissell and Storey & Irwin blocks improved

- 10/25/1877 - New Pavement in front of Smith's drug store has been laid down

            - Mrs. W. D. Summers opened millinery shop in room formerly occupied by Carter and Mahoney

- 11/15/1877 - Fire in Old Jones Corner - Mrs. Summers shop and rooms

- Miss Lillie Cunningham saves Mrs. Summers' three children

- Laying of stone pavement drags at old Jones corner

- 11/24/1877 - Clean-up after fire

- 11/29/1877 - Mrs. Summers re-opens store in Mrs. Williams old shop

- 12/6/1877 - Workmen putting lath on the ceiling of the room damaged by fire

- Pavement around old Jones Corner completed, clean-up needed

- 12/13/1877 - Loose stone and trash being cleaned up around old Jones Corner

- 12/29/1877 - Room in old Jones corner to be occupied by Mrs. Summers nearly finished

- 1/2/1878 - Mrs. Summers will shortly move into her new quarters on Washington street

- 1/3/1878 - Mrs. Summers removed to new quarters

- 1/14/1878 - Robbery at James A. Smith's store - $15 taken

- 1/15/1878 - Thieves got $2

- No clue to thieves' identity

- 1/l7/1878 - New Sewing Machine Office in Storey & Irwin's block on Tipton

- 2/4/1878 - M. Cayton has opened a room in Storey & Irwin's block

- 2/5/1878 - Bankruptcy Clothing Store, Storey and Irwin's block


Typewritten text (sheet 18):

‘The Columbus Evening Republican

- 3/18/1878 - Cook & Blair will open a fish & meat market 3/20

-First Ad

- 3/19/1878 - James Cook & Co's new meat market will open on 3/23

- 3/23/1878 - Cook & Blair opened their new meat market

- 5/2/1878 - Mrs. Summer's show-case blew over and pieced itself to-day.

- Cook & Blair are prepared to furnish Ohio River Ice

- 5/23/1878 - Cook & Blair's meat market has changed hands

-Cattle being butchered for the meat market in Storey & Irwin's block, Tipton Street

- 5/30/1878 - L. A. Spaugh has opened a restaurant in Storey & Irwin's block on Tipton.Street

- 7/6/1878 - Miss Ella Campbell, who has been doing Mrs. W. D. Summer's trimming this spring and summer, returned to her home in Greensburg, yesterday to stay

- 7/23/1878 - A. E. S. Long has removed his meat shop from Storey & Irwin's

block

- 7/24/1878 - A. E. S. Long has not removed his meat shop from S & I’s block, but has opened a second shop

 

- 8/3/1878 - Jas. A. Smith filed his petition in bankruptcy August 1.

- 8/7/1878 - Jas. A. Smith's drug store was opened by H. Daily, provisional assignee, who will close out the stock

- 9/11/1878 - Mrs. W. D. Summers has moved from her business room on Washington street back to her own home

- 9/20/1878 - A. E. S. Long closes meat shop

- 9/24/1878 - Oyster supper by Christian church in store room next to James Smith's drug store tonight

- 10/4/1878 - Oyster supper and dinner in room formerly occupied by Mrs. Summers. Both 25¢.

- 10/7/1878 - Col. Harry Daily closed Smith's drug store. Stock to be sold out at auction.

- 11/8/1878 - H. Daily advertizes bankrupt stock of drugs and medicines formerly owned by Jas. A. Smith at public sale on Saturday November 23rd

- 11/21/1878 - The peanut stand, corner of Washington & Tipton is being fitted up.

- 11/22/1878 - Jas. A. Smith's sale of drugs and medicines tomorrow

- Only four drug stores in this city, two having been closed


Typewritten text (sheet 19):

The Columbus Evening Republican

- 11/23/1878 - Fresh roasted peanuts are now sold on the old Jones corner

            - Harrison Daily sold the drug store of Jas. A. Smith at public auction - mortgage of 1200 dollars - 830 dollars to Smith

- 11/25/1878 - New peanut man at Washington & Tipton selling lemons @ 20¢/12

- 12/3/1878 - Smith's drug store opened today

- 1/9/1879 - E. H. Kinney moved from Storey & Irwin's Block to Keith's Arcade

- 1/27/1879 - W. H. Price and Col. T. H. Woodburn formed law partnership, office over Smith's Drug Store

- 1/29/1879 - George Dahn moved into Storey & Irwin's block - meat market

- 1/31/1879 - Mr. J. P. Kremer moved one door west of Bissell block – boots and shoes custom made

- 2/4/1879 - Bankrupt stock of boots and shoes being opened for sale in room next to Smith's Drug Store on Washington Street

- 2/26/1879 - Three boot & shoe houses on Washington Street have signs out

advertizing bankrupt stock of boots and shoes for sale

- 2/28/1879 – Newton Greaves at Indiana House selling Beefsteak (? When left)

- 3/27/1879 - James A. Smith taking account of stock

- 4/8/1879 - Price & Woodburn appointed agents of the British American Insurance Company

- 4/23/1879 - James A. Smith received discharge from the bankrupt court

- 5/1/1879 - Mr. & Mrs. Tutewiler set up housekeeping above Bankrupt Shoe Store

- 5/20/1879 - James A. Smith sold drug stock in old Jones Corner to T. B. Harlan.

- 5/21/1879 - James A. Smith started to Cincinnati to take position

in drug house there.

- 5/22/1879 - Mr. T. B. Harlan returns from Cincinnati with new stock of druggist

sundries.

- 5/23/1879 - Notice to Public from T. B. Harlan re: purchase of J. A. Smith's drug store.

- 5/27/1879 - H. L. Clarke, Photographer, takes quarters of A. R. Piper

- 6/2/1879 - Mr. T. B. Harlan went to Osgood, Ind. and left Finney West in charge

- 6/6/1879 - Harlan returns from Osgood - 2 short ads

- 6/l6/1879 - Soda founts of J.A. Smith and Barret & Hauser have “blowed” in.

- 7/8/1879 - L. H. Clarke exhibiting in Ellis' news stand at Post Office


Typewritten text (sheet 20):

Columbus Daily Evening Republican

- 7/11/1879 - Wind blows down awning of T. B. Harlan's store

- 8/25/1879 - Clarke's Gallery

- 9/9/1879 - "Bankrupt Shoe Store" Ad (Earliest Date is ???)

- Storey's building, known as old Jones Corner, re-roofed.

- 10/10/1879 - Mr. G. D. Dows in town to settle account of J. A. Smith's soda fountain

-  12/18/1879 - Sale of Drug Stock

- 12/20/1879 - Clarke's Ad

- 2/7/1880 - Farmer's Drug Store (Corner Drug Store) Ad, T. B. Harlan, owner; Mr. Frederick Falk, druggist.

- 6/3/1880 - Notices of Adams & Co., at Farmers' Drug Store, corner of Washington and Third.

- 4/15/1881 - Michael Emig fitting up a room for C. W. Adams Drug Store. Plans for remodeling by Mr. Irwin.

- 5/2/1881 - Removal of Clarence W. Adams & Co. to 322 Washington St.

- 5/20/1881 - City Council - Privilege to tap sewer.

- 6/16/1881 - Falling of East Wall of Storey & Irwin Building

- 8/3/1881 - Taking up floor finished

- 8/9/1881 - Cocoanut found under foundation. Building erected in 1848.

- 8/18/1881 - Work progressing slowly - scarcity of material.

- 9/17/1881 - Car load of pressed brick received from Louisville.

- 9/21/1881 - Bricklaying commenced. Mr. Joseph Condon superintending.

- 9/22/1881 - Mr. James A. Glanton superintends building of new business block, Washington & Third.

- Part of masonry of the Masonic building removed.

- 9/27/1881 - Remainder of old Jones corner torn down - readiness for re-building.

- Weak state of Masonic south wall

9/29/1881 - Brick laying finished.

10/19/1881 - Another man gotten to lay pressed brick.

- Rear portion of wall torn down as did not suit Mr. Irwin.


Typewritten text (sheet 21):

Columbus Daily Evening Republican

- 10/20/1881 - Walls about completed and ready for iron front.

- 10/22/1881 - Iron front being placed in position.

- 10/28/1881 - Galvanized iron work being delivered.

- 11/22/1881 - Timber supports for roof being placed in position.

- 11/29/1881 - Galvanized iron cornice being put on Irwin's block.

- 1/5/1882 - Work progressing well.

- 1/19/1882 - Caving of south wall - article and notice of responsibility by Mr. Irwin.

- 1/20/1882 - Contract with Mr. Baumgarten to repair building.

- 1-24/1882 - Excavation to be completed in a day or two.

- 1/27/1882 - Timbers being put in place for foundation removal.

- 2/2/1882 - Wall raised.

- 3/9/1882 - Talk of connecting Bissell hotel & Third Street Block.

- 3/21/1882 - Shelving being put up.

- 4/14/1882 - A Palace, Irwin Moves In.

- 4/17/1882- Glass pavement broken.

- 5/3/1882 - W. W. Lambert moves law office into Irwin's new building.

- 5/4/1882 - B. Fitzpatrick, M. D. - Office in Irwin's Bank Building.

- 5/6/1882 - Contract reached to connect Bissell Hotel to Irwin's Third Street Block.

- 5/11/1882 - Irwin's Third Street Block remodeled and put in condition to connect with the Hotel Bissell.

 - Prospect of sidewalk being completed at corner of Washington and Third.

- 5/15/1882 -  Workmen rushing alterations to connect Third Street Block with Hotel Bissell.


Typewritten text (sheet 22):

Questionables

4/5/1880 Tutewiler (C.W.) and Co. 303 Washington St. Old Jones Corner - Bankrupt Shoe Store

5/19/1880 Notice - Bissel House - additional story        also 5/26/1880, 6/16/1880

5/31/1880 305 Washington - Grand Clearance Sale of Boots and Shoes - Having determined to go out of business, I will offer my large stock of boots and shoes at greatly prices. My goods are new, clean and first class in every particular. Bargains guaranteed. Call early, before assortment is broken. No. 305 Washington Street William Donhost ~ Donhost and Vonfange's old Stand

4/8/1875 B. Greenwood Robbed

4/29/75 Bissell in Town re: McEwen Block & Hotel

1842 Weekly Ledger - Aug.-Oct.

 

  1. H. Barbour - Attorney at Law - Office two doors east of C & A Jones Store

The Weekly Ledger - Office on the East side of Washington Street, two doors North of C. & A Jones Store

Goodrich Indiana History – What Is It and where Can I Find It?

5/6/1887 Clarence Adams in Business - Daily News

12/7/1867 Columbus Weekly Union - Breining & Wilson - Having determined to reduce their large Stock of Watches, Clocks and Jewelry, Silver Plated Ware, Gold, Silver & Steel Spectacles, Gold Pens & Stationery, would respectfully announce to the citizens of Columbus and vicinity that they are prepared to sell lower than can be bought anywhere else. Persons will do well to give us a call before purchasing elsewhere. Repairing done on watches, Clocks and Jewelry on short notice. Store on North Side of Tipton Street, 3 doors west of McEwens Block, Columbus, Indiana No. 36

3/10/1841 Columbus Advocate - Ephraim Arnold Administrator of Benj. F. Arnold personal property

Note: Indiana State Library - Newspaper Division - Mr. John Selch - 317-633-6220 or 6221


Typewritten text (sheet 23):

  1. L. Polk Q Co.'s Biennial Directory for Columbus and Bartholomew County 1898-99

Frederick J. Meyer & Henry Bruning - Northeast corner of Third and Washington

303 Washington Street - Irwin's Bank

Simeon Stanisfer and Charles Baker - Lawyers - 414 ½ Third

Weldon W. Lambert - Lawyer – 414 ½ Third

David Stobo and John Stobo - Abstracts, Real Estate, Loans, Insurance - 418 Third Street

420 Third - Tinsley & Co. - Gun and Locksmiths

 

Directory of Columbus, Teetzel Directory Company - 1902-1903

  1. J. Meyer - Dry Goods - 301 Washington

Irwin's Bank - 303 Washington

Charles Baker - 414 ½ Third

  1. H. Everroad and J. S. Brown - 414 ½ Third - Attorneys
  2. L. Lambert - Attorney – 414 ½ Third

Ben Bloch - Stenographer and Notary Public – 414 ½Third

David & John Stobo - 418 Third

Mattie A. Schultz - 418 Third - Notary Public

Citizens Building and Loan Association - 418 Third

Tinsley and Co. - General Repairs - 420 Third

 

Complete Directory of Bartholomew County, Indiana - 1903-04

Fred J. Meyer - Dry Goods - 301 Washington

Irwin's Bank - 303 Washington

Charles Baker - Lawyer – 414 ½ Third

James S. Brown - Lawyer – 414 ½ Third

  1. W. Lambert - Lawyer – 414 ½ Third

David & John Stobo - 418 Third

Citizens Building and Loan Association - John Davidson, Pres.; David Stobo, Sec.; William Brockman, Treasurer - 418 Third

George W. Tinsley - 420 Third

 

Columbus City Directory and Bartholomew County Gazetteer for the year 1907

Irwin's Bank - 301 Washington

Charles Baker - Irwin's Bank Building

John E. Jolliffe - Civil Engineer - Irwin's Bank Building

John Stobo - 418 Third Street

Citizens Building and Loan Association - 418 Third


Typewritten text (sheet 24)

Moore's Standard Directory and Reference Book of Columbus - 1908-09

Irwin's Bank - 301 Washington

William H. G. Butler - Abstracts - 418 Third

Citizens Building and Loan Association - 418 Third

John Stobo - 418 Third -

Charles Dudley - 420 Third - Bicycles

 

Caldwell’s Directory of Columbus for 1910

Irwin's Bank - 301 Washington

  1. T. Conner - Lawyer - Irwin's Bank Building

William H. G. Butler - Abstracts - 418 Third

John Stobo - 418 Third

Citizens Building and Loan Association - 418 Third

 

Caron's Directory of Columbus - 1915-16

301 Washington Street       - Irwin's Bank

301 ½ Washington - Irwin's Bank Building

- Interstate Public Service Co.

- A. T. Conner, Lawyer

- R. O. Boyer, Office

416 Third Street                   - Marion McCalip, barber

416 ½ Third               - H. L. Rhule(Cora), travel agent, apartment

418 Third                               - Columbus Abstract Co.

- H. C. Jones, insurance and real estate

 

Caron's Directory of Columbus - 1917-18

301 Washington Street       - Irwin's Bank

301 ½  Washington - Irwin's Bank Building

- Interstate Public Service Company

- A. T. Conner, lawyer

-  Irwin's Real Estate Office, R. O. Boyer, manager

416 Third Street       - Marion McCalip, barber

416 ½ Third               - Homer L.(Cora) Rhule, travel agent, apartment

- William H.(Evelyn) East, travel agent, apartment

418 Third                   - Columbia Abstract Company

- H. C. Jones, insurance and real estate

420 Third                   - Henry Dehmer, flour


Typewritten text (sheet 25):

Caron's Directory of Columbus - 1919-20-21

301 Washington Street       - Irwin's Bank

301½ Washington               - Irwin's Bank Building

- Interstate Public Service Company

- A. T. Conner, lawyer

- Irwin's Real Estate Office, R. O. Boyer, manager

416 Third Street                   - M. C. McCalip, barber

416½ Third                            - W. H. East, travel agent, apartment

- Bertha Braden, apartment, teacher at Jefferson School

418 Third                               - Columbus Abstract Company

- Harry C. Jones, insurance and real estate

420 Third                               - C. J. Kimsey, farm power machinery

 

Caron's Directory of Columbus - 1921-22-23

301 Washington Street       - Irwin's Bank

301½ Washington               - Irwin's Bank Building

- Interstate Public Service Company

- A. T. Conner, lawyer

416 Third Street                   - E. R. Mitchell, barber

416½ Third                            - R. O. Boyer, office, manager, Irwin's Real Estate Office

418 Third                               - Columbus Abstract Office

420 Third                               - J. D. Brown, barber

 

Caron's Directory of Columbus - 1923-24-25

301 Washington Street       - Irwin's Bank

301½ Washington               - Irwin's Bank Building

- Interstate Public Service

- A. T. Conner, lawyer

                                                - Union Starch and Refining Company

- R. O. Boyer, Office

416 Third Street                    - Maurice Morrison, barber

418 Third                               - H. W. Rethwisch, shoes

420 Third                               - E. R. Mitchell, barber

 

Caron's Directory of Columbus - 1925-26

301 Washington Street       - Irwin's Bank

301½ Washington               - Irwin's Bank Building

- A. T. Conner, lawyer

- Union Starch and Refining Company

- Union Sales Corporation

416 Third Street                    - C. C. Havron, barber

418 Third                               - H. W. Rethwisch, shoes

420 Third                               - William Wells and Son, real estate


Typewritten text (sheet 26):

Caron's Directory of Columbus - 1927-28

301 Washington Street       - Irwin's Bank

301½ Washington               - Irwin's Bank Building

- A. T. Conner, lawyer

- Union Starch and Refining Company

- Union Sales Corporation

416 Third Street                   - E. R. Mitchell, barber

418 Third                               - H. W. Rethwisch, shoes

420 Third                               - William Wells, real estate

 

Caron's Directory of Columbus - 1929-30

301 Washington Street       - Union Starch and Refining Company

- Union Sales Corporation

301½ Washington               - A. T. Conner, lawyer

416 Third Street                    - C. H. Howe, barber

418 Third                               - H. W. Rethwisch, shoe repairs

420 Third                               - F.C. Rethwisch, restaurant

 

Caron's Directory of Columbus - 1931-32

301 Washington Street       - Union Starch and Refining Company

- Union Sales Corporation

301½ Washington               - D. J. McGinnis, lawyer -

- C. J. Walker, lawyer

- Hart & Hart, contractors

- A. T. Conner, lawyer

416 Third Street                    - Maurice Morrison, barber

418 Third                               - H. W. Rethwisch, shoe repairs

420 Third                               - F. C. Rethwisch, restaurant

 

Caron's Directory of Columbus - 1934-35

301 Washington Street       - Union Starch and Refining Company

- Union Sales Corparation

301½ Washington               - Hart and Hart, contractors

- Robinson, Gregory & Co, and Hart & Hart, contractors

- D. J. McGinnis, lawyer

- A. T. Conner, lawyer

416 Third Street                    - Maurice Morrison, barber

416½ Third                            - T. L.(Nettie) Mattox, apartment

418 Third                               - H. W. Rethwisch, shoe repair

- Leppert Bus Line pass station

420 Third                               - F. C. Rethwisch, restaurant


Typewritten text (sheet 27):

Caron's Diregtory of Columbus - 1936-37

301 Washington Street       - Union Starch and Refining Company

- Union Sales Corporation

301½ Washington               - Hart and Hart, contractors

- Robinson, Gregory & Co., and Hart & Hart, contractors

- Ralph W. Fraker and Sidney H. Showalter, lawyers

- A. T. Conner, lawyer

- G. G. Miller, insurance

- Home Savings and Loan Association

416 Third Street                    - Leonard Brinfield, barber

416½ Third                            - vacant

418 Third                               - H. W. Rethwisch, shoe repair

420 Third                               - F. C. Rethwisch, restaurant

 

Caron's Directory of Columbus - 1938-39

301 Washington Street       - Union Starch and Refining Company

- Union Sales Corporation

301½ Washington               - Fraker and Showalter, lawyers -

- Conner & Conner(A.T. & Wm. A.), lawyers

416 Third Street                    - Leonard Brumfield, barber

416½ Third                            - Scientific Sugars, division of Union Starch & Refining Co.

418 Third                               - H. W. Rethwisch, shoe repair

420 Third                               - F. C. Rethwisch, restaurant

 

Caron's Directory of Columbus - 1940-41

301 Washington Street       - Union Starch and Refining Company

- Union Sales Corporation

301½ Washington               - Fraker and Showalter, lawyers

- Conner and Conner, lawyers

416 Third Street                    - Leonard Brumfield, barber

416½ Third                            - Scientific Sugars, division of Union Starch & Refining Co.

418 Third                               - Vacant

420 Third                               - Vacant

 

Caron's Directory of Columbus - 1942-43

301 Washington Street       - Union Starch and Refining Company

- Union Sales Corporation

301½ Washington               - Fraker and Showalter, lawyers

- Conner and Conner, lawyers

416 Third Street                    - Brumy's Barber Shop

416½ Third                            - Scientific Sugars, division of Union Starch & Refining Co

418 Third                               - Bundles for Britain

420 Third                               - Vacant

Typewritten text (sheet 28)

Caron’s Directory of Columbus ~ 1947

301 Washington Street       - Union Starch and Refining Company

 

301 1/2 Washington            - Arch T. Conner, attorney

- Edwin G. Crouch, attorney

416 Third Street                    - Psi Iota Xi Shop

416 ½ Third                           - H. W. Kinney & Sons, pharmaceutical supplies

420 Third*                              - Brumy's Barber Shop

422 Third*                              - Ralph W. Roseberry, osteopath

424 Third*                              - Columbus Office Supply Company

- Gleason Soft Water

* The directory listed the asterisked addresses as those east of Washington,

with 416 and 416 ½ Third Street being west of Washington - I believe it to be a

printer's error

 

Caron's Directory of Columbus - 1950

301 Washington Street       - Union Starch and Refining Company

301 ½ Washington              - Irwin Building

- Richard B. Stoner, lawyer

- Edwin G. Crouch, lawyer

416 ½ Third Street               - Archibald T. Conner, lawyer

422 Third                               - Ralph W. Roseberry, osteopath

 

Caron's Directory of Columbus - 1953

301 Washington Street       - Union Starch and Refining Company

301 ½ Washington              - Irwin Building

- Union Starch and Refining Company (offices)

- Union Sales Corporation, starch manufacturers

416 Third Street                    - Not Listed

422 Third                               - Ralph W. Roseberry, osteopath

 

Caron's Directory of Columbus - 1955

301 Washington Street       - Union Starch and Refining Company

301 ½ Washington              - Irwin Building

- Union Starch and Refining Company (offices)

- Union Sales Corporation, starch manufacturers

422 Third Street                   - Ralph W. Roseberry, osteopath

424 Third                               - Vacant


Typewritten text (sheet 29):

Caron's Directory of Columbus - 1957

301 Washington Street       - Union Starch and Refining Company

301 ½ Washington              - Irwin Building

- Union Starch and Refining Company (offices)

- Union Sales Corporation, starch manufacturers

422 Third Street                   - Ralph W. Roseberry, osteopath

424 Third Street                   - Ernie's Record Shop

 

Caron's Directory of Columbus - 1959

301 Washington Street       - Union Starch and Refining Company

301 1/2 Washington            - Irwin Building

- Union Starch and Refining Company (offices)

- Union Sales Corporation, starch manufacturers

422 Third Street                    - Ralph W. Roseberry, osteopath

424 Third Street                    - Ernie's Record Shop

 

Caron's Directory of Columbus -1961

301 Washington Street       - Union Starch and Refining Company

301 ½ Washington              - Irwin Building

- Union Starch and Refining Company (offices)

- Union Sales Corporation, starch manufacturers

422 Third Street                    - Ralph W. Roseberry, osteopath

424 Third Street                    - Ernie's Record Shop

 

Caron's Directory of Columbus - 1962

301 Washington Street       - Union Starch and Refining Company

301 1/2 Washington            - Irwin Building

- Union Starch and Refining Company (offices)

- Union Sales Corporation, starch manufacturers

422 Third Street                    - Ralph W. Roseberry, osteopath

424 Third Street                    - Vacant

 

Caron's Directory of Columbus - 1963

301 Washington Street       - Union Starch and Refining Company

301 1/2 Washington            - Irwin Building

- Union Starch and Refining Company (offices)

- Union Sales Corporation, Starch manufacturers

422 Third Street                   - Ralph W. Roseberry, osteopath

424 Third Street                   - United States Army Recruiting Office


Typewritten text (sheet 30):

Caron's Directory of Columbus - 1965

301 Washington Street       - Union Starch and Refining Company

301 ½ Washington              - Irwin Building

- Union Starch and Refining Company (offices)

- Union Sales Corporation, starch manufacturers

422 Third Street                   - Ralph W. Roseberry, osteopath

424 Third                               - United States Army Recruiting Office

 

Caron's Directory of Columbus - 1966

301 Washington Street       - Union Starch and Refining Company

301 ½ Washington              - Irwin Building

- Union Starch and Refining Company (offices)

- Union Sales Corporation, starch manufacturers

422 Third Street                   - Ralph W. Roseberry, osteopath

424 Third                               - United States Army Recruiting Office

 

Caron's Directory of Columbus -1967

301 Washington Street       - Irwin Management Company, Inc., ins. counsel

301 ½ Washington              - Irwin Management Company, Inc. (offices)

422 Third Street                   - Ralph W. Roseberry, osteopath

424 Third                               - United States Army Recruiting Office

 

Caron's Directory of Columbus - 1968

301 Washington Street       - Irwin Management Company, Inc., ins, counsel

301 ½ Washington              - Irwin Management Company, Inc. (offices)

No Third Street Listings in this block

 

Caron's Directory of Columbus - 1971

301 Washington Street - Irwin Management Company, Inc., investment counsel

No 301 ½ Washington

Description of illustration (sheet 31- 38):

These sheets are photocopies of pages 60-66 and 76-82 from L. H. Redfield & Co.'s Columbus, Edinburg and Franklin Business Guide, and State Gazetteer, for 1865 and 1866. The pages include an alphabetical list of businesses in Columbus with their addresses and a list of businesses organized by category.

Indianapolis: Redfield & Co., 1865.


Typewritten text (sheet 39):

Notes

JII Walked to Columbus in 1846 - Clerked in Snyder & Alden's Dry Good Store

Early 1850 - Set up dry goods store SW corner of Walnut and Washington

Civil War - Banking set up in store

1871 - Bank Established

1895 - Sold out Dry Goods Store to Oscar Fiegenbaum and Fred Meyer

1928 - Irwin's Bank joined with Union Trust Company

3/31/1928 - Union Starch and Refining Company moved into 301

 

The Republic. 5/28/1971

Irwin's Bank Founded in 1871 by Joseph I. Irwin

Bank and Store - 327 Washington Street

1881 - N. E. Corner of 3rd and Washington

1907 - Wholely Banking

1928 - Moved Out

 

The Masonic Building - 3 doors north of Tipton

5/16/1872 - Court House Description

12/19/1872 - Sale of McEwen’s Block

6/11/1873 - Resale of McEwen's Block -- Geo. P. Bissell Bought Earlier

6/12/1873 - Not Sold

6/5/1873 - Repairs being made in the water main, on the corner of Washington & Tipton St.

6/24/1873 - Arsenic at Smith's

8/20/1881 - Frame Building ??????

5/30/1882 - Flower committee meeting in vacant room

??????????

8/9/1872 - Aromatic Russian Bitters Ad - J. V. Storey

12/12/1872 - Snyder's Picture Gallery - Location?

2/28/1879 - Newton Greaves - Indiana House - When?

11/15/1877 - Miss Lillie Cunningham Left Mrs. Summers - When?

7/6/1878 - Miss Ella Campbell - Left Mrs. Summers - Came in Spring, When?

7/24/1878 - Lay Listed as NW Mutual Ins. - Smith Started 9/23/1875

Meat Market(Cook & Blair) taken over by AES Long?

AES Long - One and Same? - Lawyer & Butcher???

Storey Ad 8/8/1872 - Other Newspaper Note

1/9/1879 - E. H. Kinney from Storey & Irwin/s Block

Micheal Dillon - Eagle Boot & Shoe Store 6/7/1877

Carter & Abbott -- Carter and Mahoney

OHP?

1864-5 1872-6 in S&I block on Tipton

1879 - 5/27 & 8/25 & 6/8 & 12/20 - Photographer Clark

2/24/1876 - History of Legislature - Francis P. Smith, Rep. 1857

1858 Francis G. Collier was elected to fill Mr. Smith's unexpired term

1861 F. P. Smith was elected, 2 year term, succeeded by OHP Abbett

1842 - REP. - Aquilla Jones

1847-8 - REP. - Charles Jones


Typewritten text (page 40):

5/27/1876 - JII - I am prepared to loan money on first mortages

Orr Block - Washington Street & Walnut

9/20/1876 - Nettie Irwin Died

11/12/1877 - Graveling Washington, Tipton & Walnut

11/13/1877 - Same Article on Fires as 11/15/1877

12/4/1877 - The pavement around the Jones corner has been laid down, and yet the

rubbish and loose chips of stone are permitted to remain untouched

12/10/1877 - Pork House - Wright Bros., Mr. John R. Blair, Supt.

12/21/1877 - JII Sewing Machines

1878 - Jone E. Crane - Queensware - Location?

1/18/1878 - Fellow with cap who took cup from JA Smith's store

1/22/1878 - Meat at S&I's block all the week

3/22/1877 - Storey & Irwin Block - corner of Walnut & Washington - Odd Fellows & KofP

4/5/1877 - JII Bank Safe - Sargent and Greenfief Time Lock

5/31/1877 - No McQueen Ad

6/7/1877 - 96 (76) Washington - Eagle Boot and Shoe Store - Spec. Notices

Donhost and Vonfange

8/9/1877 - Charley Hamilton - 78 Washington - Moved Monday Last

11/22/1877 - JA Smith - Wallpaper at half price

12/6/1877 - B. Busch & Sons, Columbus, built fence around Irwin Home

Carter & Mahoney Ads - Address? 3/23/1876 - Last One

                                    11/24/1876 - 2nd door north old Jones corner

3/15/1878 - Geo. Moyer is superintending the job of putting in the tiling in the gutter at the crossing of Tipton and Washington

End of March 1878 Irwin had telephone

4/11/1878 - 17 hats - Summers and Campbell

4/27/1878 - Mrs.W.D. Summers next door to JA Smith's Drug Store

5/4/1878 - New fence around JII's residence adds materially to the beauty of the place

5/22/1878 - Meat market in Storey and Irwin Block, Tipton Street

7/10/1878 - JA Smith and William A. Weeden is the way the name of the new firm reads

7/11/1878 - The show case at Carters had a new glass face put in it this morning

7/20/1878 - Summers children performing

7/30/1878 - Bankrupt Store, No. 3 Bissell - Davis & Joseph

8/13/1878 - Bankrupts Inconvenience

10/14/1878 - Donhost and Vonfange - 76 Washington

11/19/1878 - Haddock and Brown Business Directory

11/20/1878 - Port House Meat Market - Irwin & Storey Block, Tipton

11/27/1878 - New Blacksmith Theo. Fehring "Tado", Tipton

12/7/1878 - Wiley Blakey ½ interest barbershop of H. Brown on Tipton

1/1/1879 - Germania Hall

1/6/1879 - Reminiscences of Old Times - Masonic Lodge

1/14/1879 - Haddock & Brown - Madison, Vevay and Columbus Directories

5/2/1879 - City Council votes on numbering system

5/3/1879 - EIHuber #2 Bissell

5/2/1879 - Newton Greaves nursed gymnast

5/29/1879 ~ Dixon & Locke admitted to the bar

6/17/1879 - Fair premiums by Bankrupt Shoe Store


Typewritten text (page 41):

2/6/1879 - JHBeers & Co. Atlas and Map of Bartholomew Co.

2/26/1879 - copied - barbershop of John G. Lay

6/20/1879 - house numbering - council

7/24/1879 - BFJones buys IPWatson & Co.

7/30/1879 - Under Bissell - Sign of Red Flag Shoes

8/1/1879 - Last Will & Testament admitted to probate of Nathan Newsom - Jessee R & Nathan, sons

9/9/1879 - JII adding second story to rear portion of storeroom he occupies and the room, which, when completed, will be 75' long and 22' wide will be used as a carpet room. Mr. Joseph Condon has charge of the work and is pushing it forward vigorously.....

9/16/1879 - Dr. A. O. Hall has removed from.Storey & Irwin's block

9/17/1879 - JII Remodeling almost done

9/24/1879 - Bids let on Bissell house

9/27/1879 - Snake found in privy vault in rear of Storey and Irwin's block

11/18/1879 – Mr. W. C. Duncan, the new county prosecutor has his office in Storey & Irwin's block, vacated by Jeff Reeves

- Mr. Jeff Reeves has moved his law office to room formerly occupied by Keyes and Smith, over 1st National Bank

11/26/1879 - Mr. Newt Graves mentioned

COPY 3/2/1880 SMVoorhees over TBHarlan Drug Store

People

Sally King (Call Mrs. Wm. (Prentiss) Smith)

Mary Murphy

Chester Kitzinger

Alice Thompson (Mrs. Ray) Franklin & 9th

Mrs. Urbans - Arvin

Miss Mildred Murray 1601 Lawton (Call Miss Elsie Butler at the High School)

Ruth Harrison at the Bank

Typewritten text (page 42)

Bibliography

  1. G. Irwin and Hugh Thomas Miller: A Study in Free Enterprise in Indiana, Richard H. Gemmecke, Indiana University Department of History Doctoral Dissertation, June, 1955

History of Bartholomew County, Indiana, Chicago, 1888

I Discover Columbus, William E. Marsh, Semco Color Press, 1956

Illustrated Historical Atlas of Bartholomew County, Indiana, 1879

Edmondson Brothers Columbus Directory, 1875

Redfields & Co.'s Columbus, Edinburg & Franklin Business Guide and State Gazeteer

for 1865 & 1866

The Columbus Republican, The Columbus Evening Republican, The Columbus Republic

The Pence Files at the Bartholomew County Library

The Tax Assessment Ledgers of Bartholomew County, 1848 - 1865

Assorted Early Columbus Newspapers at the State Library, 140 N. Senate Ave., Indianapolis

Collection

Citation

Lowrance, Barbara and Irwin Management Company Inc., “001-042 Irwin Bank building history by Barbara Lowrance,” BCPL Archives, accessed August 9, 2020, https://bcplarchives.omeka.net/items/show/210.